Authentic Nautical Brass Porthole
This is an original brass nautical porthole that has been polished. Both closure dogs spin on and off with no issues. The outer diameter of the back flange is 13 1/2 inches and extends out from the back of the frame by 1/2 inch. This porthole will extend out from the mounting surface by 5 inches. Weighs about 44 pounds.
The glass measures 12 inches and has wear and scratches from years of sea travel. It has noticeable brown marks/scratches on the surface of the glass, one 1/4 inch chip,and some pitting/hazing around the outer inch and near one of the closure dogs.
You will be shipped the original brass nautical porthole shown in the photos.
The word “porthole” has nothing to with its location on the port side of a ship, but originated thanks to Henry VII of England in 1485. The king demanded on mounting guns that were too large for his ships and French shipbuilder, James Baker was brought on to solve the problem. He pierced the ship’s side so that the cannon can could be mounted inside. When there was heavy weather or the cannons were not in use, the openings in the ships were fitted with covers that latched tightly. These were called porte, which means door in French. Porte became port thanks to the English and eventually any opening on a ship was called a porthole.